SO...finally to the weekly update. Our greenie still isn't here. I have kind of forgotten she's coming actually. I was STRESSED and then she didn't come, so it just feels like nothing is changing. She might be coming this week? Don't actually know, haven't heard anything from President. That's kind of how missionary work is though, you know? You just kind of work work work until somebody in charge suddenly relocates you and then you just quick move and then go back to work work work. So we're just working until things change!
Guess what people?! I had my PRIMER BAUTISMO!!!! YEAH!!!!! It was of Ginny, she's 17 and we taught her almost completely in English, haha. We didn't think she'd be ready, then friday night we determined that she was and she wanted it to be sunday, so on saturday we threw together the program and sunday had the baptism! It was a little stressful getting everything ready, and then she wasn't at sacrament meeting and I thought I was going to have some sort of stress-induced meltdown, but she showed up for sunday school, so we went ahead with everything. And wow- I was a little bit of an emotional mess, I was just so happy...thinking about how she could be the beginning of generations of families born into the covenant... How she could tell her children her conversion story and how she would remember me as one of the missionaries that taught her! BAH! She's not a girl of many words really, and has no family support. They aren't against, just apathetic. Which is almost MORE heartbreaking- but she went ahead and made that covenant! YEAH! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! It's a beautiful thing to be blessed with the opportunity to see the fruits of your labors :)
The weather here has been crazy. I had no idea that is was possible to be more humid than it is in Indy. Summer time might be the beginning of my pony-tail no-makeup missionary look. And the pollen?! We walk outside and it's like a green blanket is draped over everything. It's no wonder EVERYONE here has allergies! When lungs are coated in pollen, bodies have no choice but to revolt! You know, all part of the Virginia missionary experience :)
So, being a linguist has always been cool, no doubt about that, but it never ceases to amaze me just how much I really do love it! I realized the other day that when Hermana Morales tells stories she always uses this expression to express a kind of surprise/shock: "Estaba como...whaatt?" Translation? MY THESIS BEING PROVED AGAIN IN ESPANOL!!! I tried to explain to her that she had given me ONE OF THE GREATEST LINGUISTIC THRILLS OF MY YOUNG LIFE, but I somehow don't think she really got what exactly was so cool...haha...but not many people really do...Dad will though!
My other favorite linguistic funny that happened this week was at a McDonald's on Hull Street. We were the only white/hispanic people amid a crowd of wonderful black accents and we were munching away and I glanced at the receipt: "McDonald's on Hall St" House for SELL anyone?!? Welcome to Virginia.
A sign on a gas station machine: "Do not cut this machine off for any reason." Yeah that's right. We cut things off here.
I met a man FRESH OFF THE PLANE from Honduras this week! I kind of go crazy everytime I meet someone from Honduras and I really went crazy when he was straight from the land of my brother! He was so nice...but when he started telling me about how he has plans to move to the US permanently because it is just so dangerous there...then I started getting a little panicky.
I LOVE YOU family and always appreciate your prayers and support!
Hermana Sinclair
No comments:
Post a Comment