Tuesday, July 19, 2011

What do you mean I can't say the word 'bomb'. bomb bomb bomb bomb

Hi! Another week, another email. I feel like this might be another one of those "you know, I just did missionary work" kinds of emails, but I'll try to pull from the deep reservoirs of my memory and come up with something good ;)

So let's start with my VERY MYSTERIOUS PACKAGE. So we get a call from Sister Reindou, our office lady (who is originally from France and has a fanstastic accent that you all would just LOVE to mimic) and she says, "Der ees a package for Hna Sinclair et zee office." And Hna Farley is like, "Great! Who's it from?" And Sister Reindou gives us what seems like the introduction to a terrorist plot, "Well, ju see, I was joust walking out to get zee mail and a man een a car drove up, got out, and handed me a packeje. He ounlee told me eet was for Hna Sinclair...." Can anyone say BOMB?! So the next day we headed up there and I was pleasantly surprised to get a very freedom-friendly package from the MATTHEWS FAMILY!  How FUN! It was such a fun surprise- please give a big thanks to the Matthews for thinking of me! 

I also ate shrimp this week. Shell and legs and ALL. Not sure if you remember, but shrimp is GROSS. Not sure if you know, but shrimp that you have to de-shell and de-leg and de-vertebrae is correspondingly gross. But you know, when you know you just gotta eat something, it kind of becomes a game. Said game is almost as fun as the highly dangerous de-boning of a whole fish. Which I also had the joy of doing again. I'm actually getting pretty good at separating my sea food's innards from it's body. In the words of Elder Scott, "You will find that you had talents for things that you never imagined..." hehe

SO...it's been awhile, but you may recall that I snore. And talk. And yell. And giggle. And apparently sometimes kneel in prayer- all in the middle of the night. Thought the surgery would aid in the snoring, but apparently not. I've taken to wearing ear plugs every night and it's actually quite surprising how much better I sleep! Unfortunately my compas can't quite block the noise. So now my companions have taken to chucking stuffed animals that they have put by the bed armed and ready! Most mornings I wake up having the following conversation: "Companions? Is there a reason I have your little creatures in my bed?" hehe my poor poor husband.

As for the work here in Chesterfield...it's moving kind of slowly. The investigators that we had progressing have gone from highway riding to dowtown traffic friday after work traffic. It's hard to be patient sometimes, because quite frankly, because the gospel is on MY mind all the time and I'm always thinking about how to help them, I forget that they need some time to process, because they are real people with real lives and real problems. One investigator (23 recently came from MX, traumatized by the border-crossing experience, left 2 kids at home, here to make money to pay off big debt) confided in us that she is super stressed because she calls home to her mom in mexico who is taking care of her little girls and the mom tells her that they have no food to eat. HEARTBREAKING. Our peruvian family is on the rocks- mom and dad have so much emotional baggage of violated trust that the necessary marriage to help get him baptized is looking less and less like an option. We broke up with a 3-year investigator (good thing I have so much practice haha), because she just refuses to do what gaining and keeping a testimony requires. We did a lot of translating this week for a man, who is more like a potential investigator, who is super super sick and can't communicate with an english speaking doctor to literally save his life! Plus we have a bunch of flakes. Or fluffs. Commitment is hard. Change is hard. But God is so good! CHOOSE GOD, PEOPLE. So, moral of the story- it's been a humbling week. Hna Castle's ankle is doing much better, so we're out working more, but with no one answering their doors...some days are 80 miles- 12 hours- zero contacts. But alas, I will survive! 

I'm glad everybody liked their letters, it's no secret that I'm paranoid about being the forgotten big sister. The one that moved away and was never heard from again...Loved the image of Ry's swollen face and falling asleep between doc's appts! Poor guy. I also loved the Aspartame song! hahaha

Well, time's up! I'm working hard and trying to love every minute out here. Living in the moment and loving it is a struggle some days, but I'm sure working at it. Talking to people about Jesus is AWESOME. Awkward sometimes, but AWESOME. Conversion is a miracle and Heavenly Father is converting ME. I am eating up the scriptures like mom's fast-sunday roast's and just loving them. Sometimes I want to stand on a roof somewhere and yell to the whole world that, can't they just see how much God loves them and wants them to come home to him? That all your pain and worries and really really hard things- you can give that burden to Jesus! You can know why you are here! Where you are going! BAH! In the words of my mother, "it's true, peeps!"

Love you
Hermana Sinclair

No comments:

Post a Comment