Hello again! I'm so grateful that it's preparation day and I get to write you about my week again!
As always, I love the letters and packages. Blessings- every single one of them. We don't get mail sat afternoon or Sunday and so last Monday night I had quite a stack of dear elders piled up on my desk and one elder said, "SISTER! HOW MANY boys are you stringing along?!" hahaha, NONE, I just have awesome family and friends! I've discovered that p-day is letter writing day because we're so happy on p-day!
So obedience...the elders have driven us CRAZY this week- they are slacking. Our teacher had a very serious talk with us on sat in which he was very direct, "This is an obvious problem. Why is this a problem? Was it a surprise to anyone that there would be rules you'd have to follow?" yeah, he gave us the spiritual beat down. I was so grateful. I've been trying to been even more diligent...dad you will be happy to know that in the missionary handbook it says that toe rings are "not acceptable." So off mine went! haha, I'm a slow learner sometimes :) It's teaching me discipline, which is so good for me.
So I don't think I've told you about my teachers- we have a sister and brother. The sister is sweet, served in Spain, is organized and we learn a lot from her. The brother- Hermano Ellett just got home 6 weeks ago...and he only has ONE ARM! He was in a truck accident when he was little and then got it amputated when he was 16. He's in the New Era from 2008- Porter Ellett the baseball superstar. Look him up. Apparently he's an incredible athlete.
I love getting contacted in so many languages here! It's a blast! Over 60% of the MTC is learning Spanish, so we get contacted in espanol pretty often, but we hear some exotic ones too! As you would guess, the spirit is always so strong here, it is really different from many other places. This week we taught our first "investigator" at the TRC and for the first time so far, I FELT like a missionary! There was a point where I thought, "you know this and that...you are READY FOR THE RESORATION!!!" I was so excited until I realized she was a faker. But that's ok- I'm beginning to catch the missionary zeal and that is a blessing! I've been reading my patriarchal blessing a lot this week and I have been so surprised at the number of things that could refer to me as a missionary. I never really thought that much of it had anything to do with missionary work, but with missionary eyes, I'm able to see the blessings that I've been given to be able to serve well and faithfully. I'm learning lots of hard things about myself- not always a pleasant experience- but I know in the long run it will be so worth it. To any boy who says he doesn't want to marry a return sister missionary-- to him I say BOY YOU ARE CRAZY. Seriously. The sisters here are so incredible and we are put in a situation where it's hard not to learn and grow.
I think it's hilarious that a huge part of the job of the MTC is to teach social skills. Almost all the boys in my district are fresh out of high school and quite frankly, are lacking. I made the point about social skills and my sister teacher made a comment that missionary work was kind of like dating...haha...I think she meant that getting to know people is a skill. It was interesting to think about all my dating as preparation for teaching the gospel and learning skills to build relationships to share eternity-changing news. The biggest issue is asking questions. Luckily I've had a lot of training!
Hermana Boone is supposed to leave tomorrow for the Mardrid MTC, but her visa isn't here, so she just has to wait here until it comes. I can't bring myself to pray for it to come because I love her too much! She's a great companion and I don't want her to leave!
Susan Tanner spoke in RS yesterday, cool huh? Last night we had a sweet fireside with one of the executive secretary's family. I LOVED it because it was full of people with funny and expressive personalities! The mom reminded me so much of Grandma Hill that it was...well- like it was her. She sang a hymn lyric medley of a day in the MTC- it was goofy and funny, but wonderful. Everyone who spoke were RMs, including some sisters, and it makes me feel wonderful to know that I can talk with my hands and laugh and make jokes and be myself!
Our days are pretty structured- all mondays the same, tuesdays, weds, etc. I spend a lot of time in class, studying, eating, class, studying, eating, gym, studying. As far as things I need- prayers. I need to be able to focus and learn and maintain happiness. It's so emotional here- feelings of being overwhelmed and discouraged are all to prevalent, but I know your prayers are helping me push through and stick it to Satan. He's such a jerk. Good news is that my testimony is as strong as ever and becoming deeper with the experiences I'm having here. Often I struggle doing things without understanding the purpose, but I'm trying to deepen my faith and learn that we get blessings from obedience!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE you family and miss you a ton. I can't really dwell on that part for too long- but I know you'll be safe and blessed without me. Keep on keepin on! You are all such great examples to me and I'm so lucky to have been so blessed with so much love!
Love you forever,
Hermana Sinclair
No comments:
Post a Comment