Monday, December 6, 2010

Deer in the headlights-Welcome to the Field!


OH family.

I'm so excited that I get a WHOLE HOUR to write you this week! I feel like the stress of making sure I hit every single important thing has been slightly alleviated! Although- this week has been BIGGER THAN EVER, so it's only appropriate that I have more time to tell you all about it.

You will be delighted to know that I was perfectly prepared at the MTC and there have been no big adjustments necessary as I've entered into the mission field in Virginia. My Spanish is coming along flawlessly as anticipated and I spend every day completely content with my new role as a proselyting missionary. BAHAHAHAHA NOT. This is more of the true account of one little hermana who thought she knew what she was getting herself into...and of course, had no idea.

Let's start from the top since we have a little more time. The travel day. Oh parents it was glorious to talk to you! Sorry for all the crying- they were happy tears! It was a total boost for me. I was starting to get all kinds of panicky feelings, the "what am I doing?!" was starting to set in and it was such a huge tender mercy to hear your voices telling me that you were proud of what I was doing and that you knew I could do it. When we arrived in the airport we were met by the president, his wife, and the assistants. I was trying to be on my very best behavior and look top notch since the parting advice my branch president gave was, "make a good impression on your mission president."  We went to the mission home, ate a yummy dinner, they gave us a little bit of orientation, took some pictures...and then sent us off to bed. We were exhausted. The next morning we woke up at 7:30 to the mission president KNOCKING ON OUR DOOR. The sister who had set our alarm didn't realize she had set it for pm instead of am. Yeah, so much for that good impression. Pretty embarrassing, actually. I got ready in world record time (10 minutes!) and was ready to rock. Welcome to the mission field.

*side note: I am taller than my mission president. Yep. It's true. You'll see it in the pic they sent. He's so awesome though- a very direct man, but he seems patient. He told me at least 3 times to be patient with myself and that they would be patient with me. That maybe should have been a warning sign that the coming weeks are going to be rough...

We went to the chapel for the big transfers, and as you already know HERMANA BREWER is my trainer! President could not even believe it when I told him the history there- I think there are like 6 other hermanas that could have been my trainer- but he really felt like she would be the best for me. He told me she would be great if I needed to have a good cry. Not sure what that means...actually, I think I do. I think things just got CRAZY is what. She is so sweet and friendly and loving and most of all- patient. She's a great missionary and literally everyone adores her. I'm lucky to be able to learn from her! She never forces me to do anything (which I appreciate SO much) but always gives me opportunities. More on this later. We drove about 2 hours to our area in Chesapeake and on the way home the member who was driving us wanted to eat at Cracker Barrel. Thought you'd love that, family ;)

This area I would describe as maybe similar to the east side of Indy. Nothing I'm unfamiliar with, but humbling nevertheless. Being a real missionary involves more emotions in one day that I even know what to do with. There is a lot that is different than I thought, maybe I'll just hit some biggies- firstly, I always thought people were being dramatic about the spirit at the MTC, but wow, being back in the real world actually felt like a step down spiritually. It almost feels like I've somehow sinned and the spirit is not with me- that's how dramatic the difference is. So that was a shocker. We spend a ton of time in the car. So mom, maybe you could send me the Book of Mormon in Spanish on CD or something? I think usually they use that time for phone calls, but since Hma. Brewer is the driver AND the Spanish speaker- that hasn't really worked out so well. Members- I forgot the diversity of wards outside of Utah! This ward seems wonderful and has all types. Since we're sisters and teach almost exclusively men, we are always calling the sisters in the ward to ask if they'll come out with us. They are SO kind to help us! It's an English ward that has 3 Hispanic members currently. Food- so I'm used to eating a TON at every meal and having VERY regular meals at the MTC. Not really my style, but I got used to it. Now it's back to eat whatever whenever you have time. Whoa. Kind of a shock to my system all over again, not gonna lie. Workout- I'm used to working out for 1 1/2 hours every day, but now we're down to like 15 min by the time we get changed, pray, and get to the church parking lot where we jog. Never thought I'd want to wake up earlier to get in exercise time, but honestly, my body misses it! Sleep debt- a sister told me you can carry sleep debt for 20 years. If that is true, I might be sleeping for a month when I get home. Complete exhaustion every day. Phew. Look alikes- I love that I always remind people of someone they know. I'm thinking that maybe that's a blessing, like "hey, we're already friends!" I met a Hispanic hermana who asked if I was Latina. HAHAHA classic. A new convert in our ward thinks that me and Hermana Brewer look alike- HAHAHA she's this cute petite blonde just like me. Oh wait...hahaha thought you might get a chuckle out of that. Praying- we do so much of this. Every time we leave the house or get out of the car, maybe like 20 times or more. My knees literally have bruises. I am not kidding about this.

OK, on to the thing that consumes most of my thoughts- Spanish. Oh man oh man. Pray for me. I knew I'd be clueless, but I don't think I realized HOW clueless. The first day we went to visit a member who is hispanic, and guess how much I understood out of our 1/2 hour visit? NOTHING. Okay, maybe 3 words. Not a pleasant realization. It's mostly a speed issue I think, they just talk SO FAST. I can understand most of what Hma. Brewer says, and that's how I stay relatively clued into what's going on when we talk to people. We talk to probably 2 spanish speakers a day, and wow, wow, I don't even know how to express the awkwardness of standing there thinking, "I wish I knew what was going on right now. I'm a missionary, I have a really important job here, but I'm not sure that I have any way to do that job the way things are going here. Yikes." I feel so bad that Hma. Brewer does the bulk of our "work," I kind of just follow her around and hope I can help wherever possible! I've decided that I need to testify of something every time we talk with someone whether or not I know what is going on- and she always gives me a chance. Yesterday she had me do the first vision- totally botched it. I mean, wow, I think I completely left out the part about 2 personages, just skipped straight to "one of them called me by name," maybe that will be funnier in 10 years? Haha, Whoops. I'm learning the cultural quirks of Hispanics- their view of time and commitments mostly- that really affects showing up to appointments and church. So our teaching pool is quite large due to this- kind of who ever we can catch at home we visit. We taught a family last thurs and will again tonight- so I have high hopes for them. We've spent a big chunk of time trying to hunt down some less actives and members as well, we usually hit those up at night because they are in safer neighborhoods. So anyway- I'm not sure how fast my spanish is going to come since I'm not immersed and I just don't hear that much of it everyday. So I REALLY need prayers. Hma Brewer tried to get me to translate part of Sac mtg on sunday...that was a no-go for me. So this next sunday I'm committed. It's weird because we don't really ask for english referrals or anything- we're the only spanish missionaries in the stake, so we just try to do the best we can. I think I spend a lot of time looking like a deer in the headlights. The hispanics always ask, "Does she understand spanish?" HAHAHAHA nope! OH MAN. Overwhelming.

*Can someone send me two letters this week to this address? This is not just a plea for mail- I need proof of residency to get a library card and be able to email home! A sweet lady gave me a guest pass because I promised her I'd have some good letter writers this week ;)

1153 Hodgesferry Road
Portsmouth, VA 23701

Anything can get sent directly to me at this address, since I'm so far away from the mission home, it will take a LOT longer for me to get things sent there.

Well I'm just about out of time. I can't believe I'm here. I wake up every morning and think, "Wow. I'm a missionary. WHOA." Don't let Dana panic about this. Because if I read this email, I'd probably panic. All I know is that God wants me here for some crazy reason and he wanted me speaking spanish for an even crazier reason, and when God asks us to do something he provides a way. Even if it's a long, struggle-filled way. So I'm just hanging in there, kind of flying by the seat of my pants. Or angels are pulling me along. Probably more likely with my current skill sets :)

I LOVE YOU ALL and am so delighted to hear from you every week. The church is true. God loves his children in Virginia just as much as he loves all the rest of them, so I'm here to give them one heck of a message! Godspeed :)

Hermana Sinclair

No comments:

Post a Comment