Monday, November 22, 2010

They're Here!



Yep, that's right- the travel plans arrived! I'm peacing outta this joint on Dec. 1 everybody! I'm SO excited. I've actually really loved the MTC and time has flown by- so not so much that I'm excited to leave, but I feel like I've been in training and I'm ready to go do the work I've been sent out to do. There is no "policy" on calling home...so I'll be calling home. I report to the travel office bright and early at 4a and my flight leaves SLC at 7am. So maybe I'll call btwn 5-6:30. I fly to Detroit, MI and get in there at 12:40 and leave for Richmond at 2:05. I know Michigan is dangerously close to Indiana...but nobody better sneak into the airport. I guess this will be a good trial run for VA, which is ALSO dangerously close to home...there are 12 in my travel group: 3 sisters, I'm the only Spanish speaking sister. As with most of my life, I'm the oddball out! Haha, I don't mind being different one bit ;) My companions leave 2 days before me- so that will be rough and really prolong the feeling of a big change, but it's time. I'm not feeling much anxiety yet- I think that will kick in more when I'm in a lesson and have NO idea what is going on! I have a feeling I have some very humbling weeks ahead. But how awesome that I'm going to be a missionary in the REAL WORLD. Whoa. When I thought about serving, I never thought about time at the MTC and now that I'm about to leave, I kind of feel like I thought I'd always be here! So I'm in the single digits of days here...! BAAAAH!!!

So to follow up from last week: CONGRATS to the Weir family! Love the name, and I bet that baby is adorable!  Sounds like things are moving and shaking over there as usual! I went to an "enhancement" class this week where NuSkin people taught us how to put on makeup and gave us our own little makeup kits. Apparently a few years ago Elder Ballard came to the MTC and said he was sick and tired of the frumpy looking sister missionaries! Haha, well, the man has a point. Just hard to look lovely with such a short amount of time. Maybe I'll just smile more- that's an instant lovely-fying trick.

Dear people who wrote me letters this week and have ever written me: I testify that God gives special blessings to people who write to missionaries! I know that because I feel so JOYFUL every time! So thanks to you all- you know who you are ;)

This coming week: Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Thanksgiving at the MTC is going to be cool I think- we get an apostle in the morning, we do a service project, get study time, have a fireside, a huge lunch, and a sack dinner. Don't worry, I'm not really homesick. However, carry on those traditions without me, though!

OH- you may be getting a phone call this week from my teacher...we're playing this game to help us speak Spanish all the time and the reward was that she would call our parents and tell them how great we are. SO, if you get a strange 801 number on the caller ID, it's probably Hma Olsen telling you that my Spanish is awful but it is the only thing coming out of my mouth. She's delightful.

Also, in my final week, I would like the record to show that I haven't gained ANY weight at the MTC. Which is akin to a miracle. My teacher gained 30 lbs when he was here...so all that salad and sweating paid off! Woo hoo! My mile time is now around 7 minutes. From a horrific 12. Yeah, you heard me. I'm a beast.

I would also like to warn everyone that I am forgetting my first name. I see it on things and think, "Eryn! What a lovely name! Wait...that feels so familiar...hey! That's MY name! I'm so lucky to have such a great name!" hahah....but seriously. And you know I'm SO forgetful anyway. Yikes. If you can believe it I'm even MORE forgetful here! I think because I'm on overload all the time and I usually have some physical impairment distracting me- but God is good, because the only thing that sticks is Spanish!

Sorry this is kind of scattered, but you know how it goes- bright red ticking clock and all- I will probably be sending a box home this week or the beginning of next with some of my stuff, just fyi.

Mom- I can't believe your eye surgery!! How exciting! You go girl! You'll have to let me know how much you LOVE it! Also, I'd love some pics of the family events that are going down :) You're the best and I love you!

Dad- Still waiting for part 2 of the story. Kind of on pins and needles here. I know you are busy providing and everything...but I'm just SO eager to hear it! Love you!

Girls- Love you, as always, keep on keeping on.

Elder Sinclair- Hey buddy! Hang in there! I think of you so much, you wouldn't even believe it. I'm so proud of you and how hard you work and all the lives you are changing! LOVE YOU!

I'm learning and growing and stretching and moving and I know this is where I need to be. Rough times ahead surely...but incredible ones too. God loves us, the gospel is for REAL, and the atonement can make saints of us all.

Hermana Sinclair

No comments:

Post a Comment