And I swear Ry's email's are exactly the things that are on my mind! I've been thinking a lot this week about miracles and so I was pumped to read about one that they had. We have the hardest time getting people to sacrament meeting, and it's always tense like finals week...you show up to see if anyone is going to be there...and you wait...to see the results of your whole week's work...and then when somebody DOES show up, it's like YES! Someone is progressing! WOO HOOO!!!
SO transfers this week! Hna Borja is a girl who loves a lot and has a great testimony and a very strong personality. We are, as always, working on the dynamic. Hna Farley is working on her christ-like patience and we are striving to be unified. I realized about half way through the week that I'm probably the senior companion and have the most time in the mission out of the three of us...haha, I guess that's probably a good thing that I'm just trying to make sure everybody's input gets involved and well quite frankly, I still don't have much of a clue about how to be the world's greatest missionary, so I just pray hard for the spirit.
This past week I've been praying for MIRACLES. Things are slowwwww here in Chesterfield and it's time to kick it in the butt. And what do you know? We've been seeing them. We were driving home to eat dinner one day and Hna Farley had to go to the bathroom, so we (on a spirit-guided whim) decided to stop in a tienda that we haven't been in before and drop off some English class flyers/use their bathroom. We popped in and used the facilities and on the way out a man says casually, "oh hi hermanas." And the spirit said, "Hermana Sinclair stop right now and talk to this man. He knows who you are." So after the abrupt stop, we chatted it up a bit and he told us, in spanish no less, that he was a "dry mormon"! haha, his mom and all his family are members (for like 20 years) and he's been to church a billion times...so we were like, "can we help you be a wet mormon? hahaha...but seriously sir..." He then offered us dinner and cooked for us right there in his little tienda/restaurante, anything we wanted, on him. So we are eating our delicious Salvadoranion food and suddenly I hear a heavenly chorus of, "lead kindly light amid encircling gloooooom...." Yes, my friends, he put on MOTAB for our background music. Do you know how many hispanics have heard of MOTAB?! Like NONE. hahaha, it was a once in a lifetime experience I'm SURE.
I had a realization this week. I am serving. As in, SERVICE. Now I know this might seem obvious, and I know we always use the expression "I'm serving a mission" or whatever, but when somehow it finally hit me this week. Again and again it comes...the time-tested and parent-ingrained motto: it's not always about me. The Eryn-centric theory of the universe is false doctrine. (Which I know is a surprise to EVERYONE) When I did service in the past, I was always a hard worker, a getter doner, a put aside me for a minute and make sure you are helped mindset. I just realized that's exactly what's going on here, everyday. I never really understood how sharing the gospel was service. But during a lesson this week with a less active man, I got it. He's like 21 and I have the most tender spot in my heart for him. He is kind of scary looking actually, and does lots of crazy stuff, but everytime we teach him, I am overwhelmed with love for him. He is so special to Heavenly Father, and He just doesn't fully understand that. We left an awesome lesson with him and I thought to myself when we left, "I think we helped him." And then the lightbulb turned on. We HELP people. That's our job. We serve them by helping them feel the love of God in their life. We are serving them because we are here, in there house, on our time, helping them understand the worth of their soul. And well, it was a beautiful moment in my heart.
Oh and guess what? I'm realizing my mission-long dream of going to Leadership Conference! YEAH! It's just pretty much like a week-long training for missionaries, everybody gets to go at some point, but I'm STOKED that I get the chance to sit back and listen to the inspired words of my leaders. I wish I could do the MTC over in the middle of my mission now that I have some field experience, and this is the next best thing. So I'll be spending the week form 10-5 in training and then 5-9 proselyting in another spanish area. I'm so pumped. I mean, SO PUMPED.
Well, I'm sadly out of time, but I love you all. I'm so impressed by my family and love you more everyday. I think so much about my future family and how i want to have so many of the same wonderful things. God is so good.
Love
Hermana Sinclair
Hermana Sinclair
No comments:
Post a Comment